Low Cal Vegetable Chili

michael

This is my favorite chili recipe.  I love it as it is low calorie and no meat at all.  I cook up a triple batch and then I portion size it out and put into containers and put in the freezer and heat up when hungry.

I have made this at leaat 40 times and I simply love it.   Give it a try and see if you like the taste.

Vegetable Chili

INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 large sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-ounce can cannellini or white beans, rinsed and drained
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups zucchini, diced
1½ cups corn
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 cups Vegetable Stock (page 29)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt, to taste
8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese, or vegan Monterey jack cheese

Bring the oil to temperature in the pressure cooker over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté for 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Stir in the garlic; sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the canned beans, green bell pepper, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, stock, chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix.

Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow pressure to release naturally. Remove the lid, stir, and taste for seasoning.

Add salt if desired. Serve topped with grated cheese. PER

SERVING Calories: 370 | Fat: 14g | Protein: 20g | Sodium: 690mg | Carbohydrates: 47g | Fiber: 12g

My sister makes the same recipe and does not use a pressure cooker.  I like them as they cook things fast.

Also, if you use fresh beans as opposed to canned beans, the taste and the nutrition is even better!